>

Friday, August 3, 2007

Family at Work

I really enjoy my job for the most part. Occasionally I clash with my boss on some ethical questions, but aside from that, I really do enjoy where I work and who I work with. In truth, I have come to love certain people at work as if they were family. It's actually quite easy with how they treat me and vice versa. I have a grandma, mom, questionable uncle, and many siblings. This older lady in particular I'm quite fond of. Her name is Rosa Lea and she is the most unabashedly outspoken person I've ever met and her cooking is outstanding! She will often just stop by to ask how I'm doing and we'll chat away for 15 minutes at a time. Actually, we're almost related. My uncle through marriage is her brother-in-law's nephew. I know, just take some time to think about it. So she knows my grandma, aunt, uncle, and a host of other family members. What can I say? It's fun.

One downside to having so many siblings around work is that sometimes they all gang up on one of the siblings: yesterday that sibling was me. I like to shoot people with rubber bands when I get bored (it's all out of love of course), but apparently it warranted a strategic assault on my corner of the lobby yesterday. The short story is that I had 5 ladies mercilessly pelting me with rubber bands all at once. I'm pretty sure I was bleeding out of my ears when it was all said and done. I will just say that now I can empathize with someone who's been stoned....

In other news I get to run sound at the Grove again this week. I'm especially pumped because now I'm armed with the knowledge of how to stop the freaking mirror ball from coming ablaze and causing the Grove to want to put on their sweetest bell bottoms in order to disco dance the night away. Stupid Dickson St. theater! *shaking my fist*

2 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Stu... I am full time staff with Word Made Flesh, (I'm assuming you know something about them from the Compstons) and will be serving at Prem Ghar, which is our home for Amaas (elderly women) in Kathmandu. I also am working as Field Administrator, which is Fleshie for "office peon"... thankfully, I love that kind of stuff! :)

I looked up your org, but I'm curious to hear more about what you'll be doing in Mexico?

Stu said...

Well, I will be taking on a project for the economic development of the region. The state I'm going to is the poorest state within Mexico and therefore has much need of creative problem solving in order to meet those needs. Basically the three main things I will be concentrating on are: establishing a micro-loan program, developing/integrating a business curriculum into their trade school, and hopefully acting as a liaison between the base there and an American company who is considering outsourcing labor. Exciting stuff!

If you want the complete details feel free to email me (I believe I have a link set up for that from my profile page). I warn you though, it's had to get me to shut up once I start talking about it.