>

Friday, November 9, 2007

Ferocity

I suppose the reason I feel compelled to write about ferocity is because not only do I feel it is a vital element missing from American society as a whole, but in my life as well. In the interest of disclosure, I am just dealing with sin in my life and wondering how I got to the point where mediocrity was acceptable to me. Maybe that's how I've always been but I never realized it. I don't think so though. I seem to be able to recall a time when I wouldn't accept anything less than my best, and settling was abhorrent. Anyway, the whole point for me is that I want to capture (or re-capture) the ferocity involved in plucking my eye out, tossing away my right hand, and killing my pride. Humiliation and ferocity. Those are two things I would never pair together on my own. Interesting how well they work together.

On a lighter note, I CANNOT wait to see Mute Math tonight in Tulsa. 2 reasons here: {1} The Cain's Ballroom is my favorite indoor venue in the universe and {2} Mute Math is spectacular live. This will mark my 4th time to see the guys rip it up onstage and the 2nd time at Cain's. Then it's off to spend the night with the padres and wake up to breakfast and lunch with supporters. Life is good. Oh, and I have Monday off. Yeah banks! So watch out three day weekend, here I come!

6 comments:

Eric Dacus said...

I agree man - living fiercely is something sorely missing from our culture these days, too much emphasis on being a nice guy.

I wish I could go with you guys to see Mute Math!

Liz said...

what is the difference between humility and humiliation?

Stu said...

Well, Mute Math fiercely rocked my face off! Missed you Dacus.

Liz, I think that humiliation leads to humility. When those unpleasant corners of our hearts are exposed and we're humiliated, we must adopt humility in the face of our brokenness. Most importantly, we must not fear humiliation for the sake of our pride.

Liz said...

Hmmm... I disagree, I don't think that humiliation will necessarily lead to humbleness. I think that humiliation is self abasement and degradation while humility is a gift of the Holy Spirit manifested in gratitude. Humility allows us to confess our brokenness to Jesus and to each other, but humiliation can feed the lie that we are unlovable. Humiliation denies the mercy and grace of Jesus in loving us just the way we are and calling us Beloved children of God. Humility leads us to the cross and humiliation leads us away from it into guilt.

Just a couple thoughts.

Stu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stu said...

Ok, ok, ok....you got me. I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. I suppose my thoughts would have been better stated if said that humiliation CAN lead to humility, but it is not a pre-requisite. Good word Biz.