>

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Como es el comportamiento?

This question means, "How is (their) behavior?"

This week I have volunteered as an interpreter for the Springdale Public School system [thanks Sra. Jaime], and it has been one heck of an adventure. The first night I was at an elementary school which was super fun because little kids are so innocent and playful. One little child asked his mom in spanish, "Mommy, why is that man so big?" I was just going to let it slide until I found myself in their classroom as their interpreter five minutes later. Needless to say, the little guy was a bit bashful after that.

The reason for the title of my post is because that was the one question that every parent, without exception, asked of the teacher before leaving. I would help them go over the grades and their child's classroom performance with moderate interest, but upon breaching the subject of behavior, every parent came to edge of their seat in perfect attention to what was being said. I really found it to be pretty refreshing that all these parents were genuinely concerned with the social fabric of their child. Unfortunately there are probably just as many parents who could care less about their kids' behavior.....and that's why they weren't at the conferences I suppose.

In unrelated news, starting Monday at work, I have to go back to business professional attire (tie & jacket) along with all the other guys. Such crap. But it's ok: I hear the same dress code doesn't exist in Mexico.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

gracias por tu servicio, estuart. la ciudad de espringdale es más rica por tu presencia.

la señora