>

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Youth Conference

Lately I've been feeling drained and it's not because I've been so crazy busy (although I have been), or because it's so hot (although it is impressively hot), but because there's a youth conference going on this week. About 3,000 kids are camping out in and around the base and it's really fun. More specifically though, the speakers are wearing me out. I sort of feel bad for saying that, but then again I don't.....mostly because it's true. It seems like every one of the talks lasts over an hour and there's no theology involved really. I mean, there's some, but it could be said in a 5 minute synopsis. Instead, there is an amazing amount of emotional appeal and I'm starting to feel really zapped by it all. Almost all of the teachings are for the purpose of whipping the kids into a fever-pitched frenzy and then calling it good. I don't know, maybe I'm just cynical. I like hanging out with the kids and talking at any rate.

By the way, here is a picture of Juan. This is the same Juan who was hit by the truck. The good report on him is that he continues to improve. He can now talk some, walk a few steps at a time, and he's gaining some weight back. I will continue to update on him as he progresses.

2 comments:

Cindy Lofton said...

stu- great to hear an update! we have been wanting to know what's been going on down there. i am in awe of juan. surely our God has our days numbered & has purpose for each of them. jason & i laughed (in a serious way) about your comments on the emotional appeal you've noticed. our eyes have been opened to the same thing, not in our own church, but in other places. jason will probably elaborate on this more at some point. he feels very strongly about it. there is a world of difference b/w getting people excited about Christ and actually BUILDING His kingdom. keep the posts coming! you still have readers! (and pictures are welcome, too)

Stu said...

Hey Cindy, thanks for the comment. I will keep the updates coming (with pics) and I hope that you all get the chance to come visit soon.