>

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Oddities

I thought I would share some of the things I find odd about Mexico:

They eat iguana eggs here. I actually tried one yesterday and it was pretty tasty. Reminded me of a deviled egg. (they also eat armadillo)

People stare at me. I thought I was just making it up in my head until today. I happened to be wearing some sunglasses (with which you can't see my eyes) at a worksite today, and I noticed that everyone stared at me when I pretended to be looking off into the distance.

Air Conditioning is a luxury. Better said, finding air conditioning is similar to finding all of Bill Gates' money in one place and having with you a truck big enough to haul it all off. Oh, and it's not cool here either.

Protein is severely undervalued. Tortillas and veggies are the norm. I really hate beans....I hated them before.....I hate them still.

Speed bumps are unnecessary on a pothole filled dirt road.....unless you're in Mexico. And the speed bumps, well my friend, they are designed to make you replace your suspension as often as your oil.

Mexicans are scared of fish. I don't know why, but every time we're swimming in the ocean and they see fish, they freak and run ashore.

That's about it for now. There's a pastor's group here this week from the surrounding areas and they all have good ideas for start-up companies. Exciting stuff. Truly, it puts a bit of pressure on me to get some stuff done a lot quicker than I anticipated. God is good and affirming. If only I could get a steak.

4 comments:

ButterPeanut said...

Hey, the dutch also undervalue protein and stare at me, ominously.

Also, "God is good and affirming. If only I could get a steak." made my day and might become my guiding verse for lent.

Brian Hirschy said...

china doent like protein either... but they do like MSG!

Liz said...

I'm of the opinion that you ate enough artery-clogging, soil-degrading beef in the month before you left to sustain you for three years in Mexico...

From my vegetarian heart to yours.

Sheila said...

Praying that you begin loving beans and hating air conditioning! Seriously, praying for you, the contract and the ministry. Thank you for updating your blog and giving us glimpses into your life.